Auto Recharge system failed. Lost entire account balance.

Heatseeker123

HoFo Member
Carrier(s)
AT&T Prepaid ($50 Plan)
Device(s)
iPhone 8
Auto-recharge failed to process on the date it was supposed to (September 26) and my father's Pay As You Go account plan expired. As a result, his ~$40 balance was wiped out. I spoke to an H2O chat agent and he got auto-recharge working again but the balance was still reset. I had to speak to another chat agent and he was very nice and friendly, but said it was policy for the balance to be wiped out if a plan expires.

That make sense, but auto-recharge failure was on H2O, not us. I asked him to explain why it failed, and he claimed it was due to information not matching. However, the previous agent was able to start auto-recharge again with no information from us other than our phone number. So clearly, the information did match. I continued to press him for the reason why it failed, and he ignored the questions and just apologized multiple times. The only reason for him to refuse to tell me which information did not match is because it was a lie.

If we just forgot to renew, I would let it go. But their system did not work as it should. Any ideas on how to get my father's balance back?

See my thread below about account/website issues. My recharge from the website never worked. I had to do a RTR from CallingMart, and even they had problems recharging (but got it done). My chat transcript shows the rep saying that they are making changes to their system.

I was afraid to lose my (large) balance too. I don't know what can make them restore your balance. I think PureTalk is making changes with their takeover of H2O. Maybe a complaint to PureTalk would help.

I have never had a customer successfully set up auto pay. They call me every month to complain about it and then pay it through my store. I wouldn’t trust it.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Hey, there! Your H2O team here!

I've replied to your private message. Let's continue our conversation there, so I can better assist you with your father's account. ��

Keila T. Team H2O 1 (800) 643-4926 customercare@h2owirelessnow.com

Hopefully I won't have an issue in early November. It has renewed automatically for quite some time ($52 balance at $10/3 months).

The number is more important to me than the balance. It is the number tied to many of my accounts.

Hopefully I won't have an issue in early November. It has renewed automatically for quite some time ($52 balance at $10/3 months).

The number is more important to me than the balance. It is the number tied to many of my accounts.

If auto recharge fails, you will have 30 days to bring the balance positive before you lose your number. So if you care more about the number than the balance, I wouldn't worry about it too much as you will have an entire month to get it fixed.

Anyway, H2O has restored my father's account balance to the original amount after sending a PM to H2O on Howard Forums to look into for me. Thanks H2O for your help.

Luckily mine worked or I would have been moving.

I have the same problem. Been on autopay for a year. Nov. 24 credit card charge didn't go through. No message to phone or email.

Got message on phone 11/27 that account had expired. Chat told me to re-do cc info and restart autopay. Couldn't promise restoration of credit balance. My balance was quite large due to not being able to travel during pandemic.

PROBLEM SOLVED. Thanks to "h2owireless" poster on this forum.

Last edited:
H2O Team

I have the same problem. Been on autopay for a year. Nov. 24 credit card charge didn't go through. No message to phone or email.

Got message on phone 11/27 that account had expired. Chat told me to re-do cc info and restart autopay. Couldn't promise restoration of credit balance. My balance was quite large due to not being able to travel during pandemic. Haven't seen restoration yet.

Hey there! Your H2O Team Here!

We apologize for the inconvenience experienced. Please send us a private message with your phone number in order to further assist you with this matter.

Regards,

Jen F. Team H2O
1-800-643-4926
customercare@h2owireless.com

Just thought I would add my experience with H20Wireless. I first tried to post here on the public board from my phone, but i am not allowed to post publicly (probably not enough posts.....lets see if it works from the pc). I sent a private message as my balance of like 200 disappeared when my autopay did not go through. They offered me 100 if I start autopay again, I felt pretty ticked because I got a different card number this fall and AMEX specifically told me don't worry about any autopay, we will take care of it. I asked for my expired card balance, because I am going to fight with someone H20 or AMEX for my 200 bucks. They replied they did not know my expired balance, but would credit 200 if I renewed the autopay. I am happy just to get my balance back and continue with autopay. When I was updating autopay online, I found an incorrect email that did not match my profile email, so perhaps there were warnings but I did not receive them. In addition, now my account balance does not expire the same day as my autopay billing. I believe if there is a problem with autopay in the future, I will have a couple of weeks to get a new card in my profile before losing the balance. Perhaps I should add that the credit card in my autopay profile did expire, I did not receive any warning perhaps due to the bad email in the autopay profile (I think autopay has been working for me since 2016 if my memory is correct). In the end, they got me fixed back up pretty quick.

Restoring an incorrectly, or even inadvertently removed balance to an active account would seem to be a no-brainer for H2O. I understand the need to guard against abuse of their system, but I would have thought that keeping new money coming in through auto-recharge is worth far more to H2O than the cost of a customer using up their balance on minutes and/or megabytes.

Saw this thread and wanted to add our experience with H2O Wireless. The same issue happened to my mom's Pay As You Go Plan. Her auto pay was charged unsuccessfully on October 1, 2023 and her plan expired, wiping out her entire balance of about $40-$50, without any notice to phone or email.

We found out a few weeks later and called H2O customer service but they said it's not their "job" to notify users their auto pay did not go thru...but on their website, it clearly written under their terms and conditions for auto pay that they're supposed to notify users if the auto pay was successful or not and how much was charged...yet no email or message at all. H2O didn't follow their own T&C and has failed to notify us her card was declined...instead blaming the bank. How does the bank even know that the charge didn't go thru, they don't have access to the account...H2O has it...

After speaking to another customer rep, he told us to reactivate the plan, but with no guarantee or even an email confirmation that her balance will be restored...we just don't have faith in H2O anymore and has lost trust that they'll restore my mom's balance after getting mixed messages from their customer rep.

I don't do autopay, but I refill my 90 day/$10 paygo plan with Pinzoo. I don't know if they do autopay.

I go log in and pay with PayPal, and the refill gets applied directly to the phone.

Sent from my moto e (XT2052DL) using HoFo mobile app

Back