Can I unlock a Sprint iPhone 4S to give to a relative for use on T-Mobile?

kaiserc69

HoFo Member
Family member needs a phone, and I have 2 iPhone 4S from Sprint that I wanted to give to them to use. Any help is appreciated!

Family member needs a phone, and I have 2 iPhone 4S from Sprint that I wanted to give to them to use. Any help is appreciated!
Verizon and Sprint operate on CDMA networks while AT&T and T-Mobile operate on GSM networks, unfortunately this makes that impossible due to incompatible hardware.

Thanks for the reply!

Verizon and Sprint operate on CDMA networks while AT&T and T-Mobile operate on GSM networks, unfortunately this makes that impossible due to incompatible hardware.

That's what I was afraid of. Thanks for the reply!

Umm, these replies are wrong on a couple of levels.

1. A Sprint iPhone 4S can be used on Sprint with no modifications.
2. A Sprint 4S also has the GSM radio in it. There are several ways to unlock it but you might lose some functionality (MMS).

Sent with the HoFo App

I should add that the 4S will not work on T-mobile's AWS (1700) frequency.

Sent with the HoFo App

I'm using a sprint iPhone 4S on tmobile now. 3G service and I can text pic message and all. Used a site. It's http://neterteam.com/download/
You need a special SIM card my friend gave me but it is possible tho.

Sent with the HoFo App

I'm using a sprint iPhone 4S on tmobile now. 3G service and I can text pic message and all. Used a site. It's [link removed]
You need a special SIM card my friend gave me but it is possible tho.

Sent with the HoFo App

Those are called SIM interposers. Not only are they illegal in the United States per the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, they will also severely inhibit the functionality of your phone. For instance, you may not be able to update your iOS without purchasing a new SIM interposer, which can be pricey.

The iPhone 4S is a world phone and can be used on any GSM or CDMA network. Unfortunately, iPhones that use Sprint's network at any time are not permitted to access domestic GSM carriers (i.e., AT&T or T-Mobile) without Sprint's permission. Even worse, Sprint does not unlock iPhones for any reason whatsoever, even for customers who have completed their contracts.

I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news. I, too, am in your situation, but I'll likely be switching to T-Mobile soon, even if I have to buy a new iPhone 5s.

Those are called SIM interposers. Not only are they illegal in the United States per the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, they will also severely inhibit the functionality of your phone. For instance, you may not be able to update your iOS without purchasing a new SIM interposer, which can be pricey.

The iPhone 4S is a world phone and can be used on any GSM or CDMA network. Unfortunately, iPhones that use Sprint's network at any time are not permitted to access domestic GSM carriers (i.e., AT&T or T-Mobile) without Sprint's permission. Even worse, Sprint does not unlock iPhones for any reason whatsoever, even for customers who have completed their contracts.

I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news. I, too, am in your situation, but I'll likely be switching to T-Mobile soon, even if I have to buy a new iPhone 5s.

When I update I don't need a new chip. It works fine. And my company I'm with now said it's not illegal. I had heard that before. Apparently it's not true

Sent with the HoFo App

Back