eBay LG locked to ATT & MVNOs

PaulCrawhorne

HoFo Member
If I buy a used phone, vendor says ATT locked but can be used on Cricket, H20 etc

What is the cheapest plan to put it on just for the purpose of getting it unlocked quickly?

No data, just a few calls/sms per month.

My only line on the mothership is a cheap UNL data tablet plan, just in case that might be relevant.

I don't think any carrier unlocks LG's anymore.

AFAIK AT&T phones can only be unlocked after 6 months of service on AT&T. Is there any other way?

AT&T used to have the 25¢/min prepaid plan which at cheapest was $25/90 days, but they're changing it. Not sure if it's worth doing.

I'm not on AT&T anymore, last time was 3-4 years ago to park & port a number and the 25¢ plan was the one I used. They actually unlocked the phone after two months but it was an older Phoenix 2. I submitted request for unlock on it and an old Alcatel Ideal way before the 6 months and they unlocked them but both are old phones. They refused the request on newer ones (LG Neon Plus 2, Alcatel Smartflip 4052R).

Sent from my moto g(7) optimo maxx(XT1955DL) using HoFo mobile app

AFAIK AT&T phones can only be unlocked after 6 months of service on AT&T. Is there any other way?

AT&T used to have the 25¢/min prepaid plan which at cheapest was $25/90 days, but they're changing it. Not sure if it's worth doing.

I would be **very** happy with that!

I looked on the web and called support no joy, anyone have a link?

I cannot go to a store.

And just to clarify, we are talking a secondhand BYOP device now discontinued, that does in fact work just fine on ATT MVNOs as well as the mothership.

I couldn't find the pay per use link either, but AT&T didn't make it very obvious in recent years how to find it even when it was available.

I think AT&T discontinued the pay per minute plans. Only people already on them can still use the option but the rate has been upped to 35¢/min even for customers who are grandfathered in. Forum thread:

https://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?p=17225136

I was told by someone a long time ago that if I wanted the 25¢/min plan I had to activate on one of the advertised plans and once on it I could go to my account dashboard online and the 25¢ plan (and $3/day plan) would be available there and I could switch to it. I read a comment that it's been removed as an option on the dashboard too.

I was near an AT&T store a long time ago and they put one of my phones on the 25¢ a minute plan with a port in. But that was maybe 4 years ago.

Attempts to activate a new AT&T by customer service help only got my call shunted to the robot help desk and I gave up.

One AT&T prepaid phone came with codes that could be entered if the new phone was being activated from the handset itself. The codes included 25¢/min and I believe the $2/$3 a day plan. I doubt that AT&T would recognize those codes now. You'd probably get an error message, so I wouldn't risk it.

For activation the SIM would probably have to be the original one that came with the phone and never activated. Plus, the phone would have to be on AT&T's Whitelist.

Used to be able to do $10, $15 a month or $25/90 day airtime amounts with that plan.

I photographed the documentation that came with a phone and posted it here in the H20 forum under the old thread "AT&T Alcatel 4052R smartflip" dated June 2nd 2021. It told how to activate using the handset codes, but please remember they are probably obsolete now. I wouldn't recommend trying it, but just saying they did exist.

25¢ activation code
*123*zipcode*17#

$2/day code
*123*zipcode*02#

BTW, if anyone wants to run a phone on AT&T for 6 months to qualify for unlock, Target sometimes has discounts on airtime
I will use no T&T, and minimal data. The question is, what is the lowest cost for the 6 months' service time?

And does it even need to be on the mothership to get unlocked? It works fine on Cricket and MVNOs like H20

I will use no T&T, and minimal data. The question is, what is the lowest cost for the 6 months' service time?

And does it even need to be on the mothership to get unlocked? It works fine on Cricket and MVNOs like H20
If the prepaid 25¢/35¢ plan is no longer available for new activations, nor the $3/day plan, then you are probably faced with activation on one of AT&T's monthly plans.

With the usage you stated, it would be super expensive to bother doing if you don't actually need that level of service.

The question is how badly do you need to unlock that phone?

Is it a whitelisted model of LG? If not then AT&T wouldn't activate it anyway.

If it's whitelisted you should be able to use it on MVNOs like H20 Wireless without unlocking.

If ATT even unlocks out of the phone game LG's anymore. Which I highly doubt. I'd even bet against it. Afaik it has to be on ATT proper not MVNOs for 6 mos.

I did have a couple AT&T branded phones (Moto G7 Play) that eventually unlocked without the normally required AT&T service. One was on an MVNO for quite a while. Definitely more than 6 months. The other....I don't think it had service or very short MVNO service. Perhaps they viewed them as too old to worry about. I was quite surprised that that happened. Prior to that I always got the message that they were not eligible.
Of course it only really matters if you want to use it on T-Mobile or Verizon, assuming they are eligible for those services.
One of those phones I use with the TextNow sim.

Sent from my moto g stylus 5G (2022) using HoFo mobile app

These are indeed whitelisted, by definition since they do actually work on ATT and its MVNOs

And yes TMO and its MVNOs are much more flexible when you I will want to use it for high GB cell data use cases.

I thought the FCC put in rules requiring that phones be unlocked under reasonable conditions ?

If the prepaid 25¢/35¢ plan is no longer available for new activations, nor the $3/day plan

How can I find out ? The 25¢/35¢ plan had no per-month cost?

I don't see how $3/day could help, if unlocking requires X days in a row, that's $500+ for six months.

I guess if there is no clear path forward, I'll move over one of my Tracfone ATT lines just as an experiment

These are indeed whitelisted, by definition since they do actually work on ATT and its MVNOs

And yes TMO and its MVNOs are much more flexible when you I will want to use it for high GB cell data use cases.

I thought the FCC put in rules requiring that phones be unlocked under reasonable conditions ?

How can I find out ? The 25¢/35¢ plan had no per-month cost?

I don't see how $3/day could help, if unlocking requires X days in a row, that's $500+ for six months.
The per month cost on the 25¢/35¢ per minute paygo plan is the amount per month you choose to put on the phone.

The AT&T $10 and $15 prepaid cards used to be good for 30 service days, and the $25 prepaid card was the most economical because it gave 90 days service. You would get a year with the $100 prepaid card. There are cards with other amounts but you have to check how many days of service they give.

Then, once you put airtime on the phone with a refill, you don't have to use up the balance, but it will expire if you don't refill again by the service expiration date (30 days, 90 days, etc).

With AT&T paygo, (like with H20) you lose your balance if you don't refill by the due date.

The $2/day plan was raised to $3/day but that charge was only assessed on days you used the phone to call. I can't remember if they charged you that fee if you sent a text. I think you could receive texts and not get charged the daily fee. Using the web required a day pass.

I had the $2/day unlimited plan a LONG time ago, over ten years ago so the rules may have changed along with the increase from $2 to $3.

The fee would let you talk & text all day. Once you used the phone to make a call it was automatically assessed, then expired in 24 hours.

With that plan, just like the 25¢/35¢ minute plan, you add airtime with the refill cards.

People on the HoFo AT&T forum who have been on the paygo plans can answer you about that.

Sent from my moto g power (XT2041DL) using HoFo mobile app

I guess if there is no clear path forward, I'll move over one of my Tracfone ATT lines just as an experiment

If I were you I'd at least try entering the IMEI on the AT&T unlock portal at https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/ You have nothing to lose, the worst that can happen is that your unlock request is denied.

I agree with what yeswap said. Just try the unlock request.

BTW, have you had it on H20 for at least six months and is it currently on H20?

I should try to apply for unlock on my LG Neon again because I it was on H20 for so many months. AT&T denied when I asked before that. I had to use the app that was on the phone. Before I just had to use the unlock portal with my LG Phoenix and Alcatel Ideal. They didn't have the unlock app.

Sent from my moto g power (XT2041DL) using HoFo mobile app

NEWS

I had my AT&T LG Neon Plus 2 on H20 for over a year. I moved the already activated SIM to the Neon in March 2022. I removed the SIM to an AT&T Smartflip just a short while back.

Before using the Neon on H20, I was denied an unlock request using the application that was preloaded on the phone.

I just applied for the unlock request through that application again right now and within a few moments I received the reply that the phone was unlocked.

So it may be that time on H2O (or another of AT&T's MVNOs) counts towards unlock.

If you don't have the LG on H2O currently then you might try to put it on an H2O SIM. Like with my phone it won't have to be activated with a new H2O SIM, you can just move one that has been activated into the phone and leave it in there for a few months and try again.

Sent from my LM-X320 using HoFo mobile app

Sorry thought I was clear, just considering this factor in pricing out the various LG60s on eBay.

This batch are used, apparently returns to ATT resellers.

You occasionally see NIB too, but unlocked jacks the price way up.

Back