FreedomPop "Walmart" Free Plan (300 min / 1000 texts / 100 MB for $0/month) - Info & Discussion

Are you planning to port-out within the next week or two? Inability to renew the plan without contacting customer service is a red flag for me.

That certainly appears to be the case by making people on the GSMA plans have to talk to chat each month to get the plan renewed.
i'm not jumping thru hoops and renewing.
i find the 100megs data not worth it.
Every month when i turn on my phone for the 1st time, 20megs get automatically used up by Android even though i have data saver on.

and having data turned off is useless to me.
The reason why i'm turning on the phone is because i need to use the data.
So once i turn on data, the 20megs gets sucked up

and having data turned off is useless to me.
The reason why i'm turning on the phone is because i need to use the data.
So once i turn on data, the 20megs gets sucked up

Which app is using the 20mb - turn it off. Yea, 100mb is not much but for $0 it is still 100mb more than anyone else, plus includes minutes and texts(can also buy 100mb for $2 if needed). TextNow has essential data though and maybe my next option. Still, I'm holding out with FP cause I've had it so long and has been good for me, though with current issues (renewals, automatically switching me to paid plan fiasco) I would not recommend to Most people.
My lost original FP sim "free" plan since 2018 had Voice Mail that cost $2.49/month so actually my FP plan was not free - maybe since I was paying them something I had no FP issues for years. Now just noticed, this new Target sim has voice mail option too and the cost is only $1 so thinking maybe will add it next month if have to send chatbot a message again after renewal date. People who call me are used to hearing my message. Now they get the customary "this person has not yet set up voicemail..." so they can not leave a message -((that sucks cause i really liked listening to my messages).

UPdate: wondering if anyone using 100/100/100 sim plan is paying the $1/mo voicemail fee, and still having the inactive/suspended account issue at renewal? Also, wondering if you pay one dollar per month for voicemail, then account is no longer free right - so hopefully/maybe it will automatically renew like my original sim did?? Probably wishful thinking. still curious

Last edited:
Which app is using the 20mb - turn it off. Yea, 100mb is not much but is still 100mb more than anyone else with minutes and texts also., TextNow has essential data though and maybe my next option. Still, I'm holding out with FP cause I've had it so long and has been good for me, though with current issues I would not recommend to anyone. My original FP sim "free" plan had Voice Mail that cost $2.49/month so actually was not free - maybe since I was paying them something I had no FP issues for years. Now just noticed, this new Target sim has voice mail option too and the cost is only $1 so thinking maybe will add it if next month if have to send chatbot a message again after renewal date. People who call me are used to hearing my message, now they get the custom "this person has not yet set up voicemail..." and can not leave a message -that sucks cause i really liked hearing my messages.
If you need a voicemail only, you can port your number to Callcentric ($2/month) or to voip.ms ($1/month).
TextNow also has voicemail (free of charge) and you can record custom greeting.

My problem with FP is that the service is absolutely not reliable. The number may become inactive any given moment without warning and as we see it now, we can't even renew our free plan. I prefer something working and non-free than free and non-working.

I had to use my hotspot to get on, then ended up getting the same error that “renewals are blocked” after jumping through hoops and downloading their spyware app, etc.

At this point I just want to port the line out to GV, but since it is inactive I need to get it running for the verification text. And chat won’t give me the account number or PIN, they just tell me to go to my.freedompop.com and log in but that is the legacy portal for the old SIMs and I have no account there.
The sequence is to use chat first to "elevate" the issue and get the plan renewed. No credit card info was needed when they did it for me.

Then you can do the port out.

How do you put up with their texting app? I find the texting app very exhausting. (I have their free plan though. Maybe it's different on paid plans?)
It works fine for me with the free plan. But I may have an unusual tolerance for ads, lol!

on my phone with the Textnow SIM i get only minimal ads and none too annoying, unless I turn on wifi.

once connected to wifi I find the ads a bit over bearing.

the number is actually mostly used from my computers in the browser though and my ad blocker(uBlock Origin or Braves' built in ad block dependign on the machine) in very effective and eliminates all ads completely. i have not found any android ad blockers effective with the app on a phone though, either the ads still get through or the app will not function.

My 100/100/100 plan is still not working after several days and calls... account seems deleted also. Today they offered to send me a new Sim with this caveat:

Please be advised that once you received the sim, you need to activate with the new account as there's no update yet if the account can be reactivated

Might be time to go look for my textnow Sim and see if I can get that reactivated and try out the essentials data.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
How did you get them to offer you a new sim?

How did you get them to offer you a new sim?
They promised to send me a new sim but never did. At first they could not get my Target sim to activate - I thought it was the sim cause the sim's access point settings did not match what FP's website said they should be. Eventually someone there did get sim working.

Last edited:
I'm not sure I did anything but tell them they needed to fix my issue. Of course I haven't received the sim yet and maybe they aren't sending it after all.

And before I tried the new Sim, I checked my account again and today I can log in again and my service is active. So someone fixed something. No communication. Oh I did get an email from their support responding to an inquiry I made over 2 weeks ago because I couldn't get my plan to renew. The email didn't actually suggest anything, it just asked for some verification info.

And before I tried the new Sim, I checked my account again and today I can log in again and my service is active. So someone fixed something. No communication. Oh I did get an email from their support responding to an inquiry I made over 2 weeks ago because I couldn't get my plan to renew. The email didn't actually suggest anything, it just asked for some verification info.

Does data work?

Yes everything including data is working again

Could you please post a link to where it's documented that porting a # into TextNow locks it in? Thanks.

Also, as I understand it, even a ported in # becomes a VoIP #, and anyplace that won't send 2FA to VoIP, still won't.
My number shows that it's locked in on the Textnow app.

To anyone with a TextNow ported in phone #: Does your TextNow account with the ported in phone # in any way indicate that the # is locked in? Thanks!
Yes, mine has a small green lock next to the number in settings and when I tap the number I get a popup that says Locked In Number.

I was able to renew my Target account, 100/100/100 AT&T, because it's on an old iPhone and I now have the FreedomPop app on the iPhone. The Walmart 300/100/100 T-Mobile plan is on an AGM phone without access to the Android Play Store. I still have the option to renew on the web page, but I'm getting an error after entering my credit card number. It looks like it's supposed to work online, but apparently it doesn't (as others have mentioned). I do have an Android phone on Tello. Is it possible to load the FreedomPop app on that phone to renew my AGM account? Or do I have to call customer service each month now?

Thanks for any information.

EDIT: Okay, I answered my own question. I downloaded the app on my Pixel, logged in and was able to apply the free plan to my Walmart (T-Mobile, 300/100/100) plan. So I guess that's the easiest way to do it.

Last edited:
Back