Google Fi Pixel 4a 5g

Ad Above Message List

texascell

HoFo Member
I purchased Google Fi's Pixel 4a 5g under a $299 promotion late last year. After 62 days I ported out to Verizon prepaid. When I put IMEI number in it says it's not compatible on Visible. Isn't this phone supposed to be unlocked to go anywhere? I temporarily put a Visible sim in and it seems to work. It's odd it says it's not compatible on Visible website. Thoughts?

Visible's site and Fi have no connection at all. The IMEI checker will tell them if the device is compatible with their network, or if Verizon will allow it on their network. If they are not allowed to use it, that has nothing to do with Fi. Your other issue may be that Visible's site does not recognize the Pixel as a device that can get 5G on their network. So it may be possible that they are not allowing 5G phones that they won't recognize as getting 5G on their network to avoid complaints about slower speeds, and to try and get you to buy a 5G device from them. Either way, there's nothing Fi can do for you and you'll have to talk to Visible about this issue.

Ad in Threadview Above Message Content
I agree with @JWireless, but since Fi uses Verizon (not Visible) as backup to TMo, the PHONE should be hardware compatible. The coverage with Fi would likely be slightly better than with Visible which has access to a (large) subset of Verizon's. AIUI, Visible offers no off-Verizon roaming.

I wonder if Fi works in an area without TMo where Verizon customers must roam? There are not many of those which is one reason that Visible is popular. But free roaming is expensive for Verizon. I doubt they let Fi use those.

I agree with @JWireless, but since Fi uses Verizon (not Visible) as backup to TMo, the PHONE should be hardware compatible. The coverage with Fi would likely be slightly better than with Visible which has access to a (large) subset of Verizon's. AIUI, Visible offers no off-Verizon roaming.

I wonder if Fi works in an area without TMo where Verizon customers must roam? There are not many of those which is one reason that Visible is popular. But free roaming is expensive for Verizon. I doubt they let Fi use those.
Fi uses T-Mobile, including the legacy Sprint network and US Cellular, not Verizon. There might be a small amout of roaming on Verizon but it's not a carrier that Fi customers get non-roaming access to.

Last edited:
Back