New Unlimited Browsing option

it works only on petro canada phones, or any unlocked/PDA phone as well?

Very interesting. And wondering if how much restriction is on this: port restriction, (third party) app restriction, phone restriction, protocol restriction, etc. I guess this would be similar in terms of filtering like Rogers' one?

Would tethering work with something like this? I believe rogers has something similar but tethering is definitely not supported

anyone know the settings for this to work?
I sold the petro phone long ago and currently using a windows mobile phone

I don't think tethering would work, unless you're doing something like JoikuSpot.

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11) HTC-6900-MR2 BM)

migo said:
I don't think tethering would work, unless you're doing something like JoikuSpot.

tether is not issue because 3rd solutions like pdanet can be used. key question is if this unlimited feature supports non petro-canada smart phones. anybody has this feature can put your sim card in unlocked smartphone to try? if this works it will be by far the best data plan in canada.

I'm trying it in a HTC G1. Anyone know the APN settings for the Petro Canada network?

Mark

I think they use Rogers WAP settings
APN: goam.com
USER/PASS: wapuser1/wap
PROXY: 10.128.1.69 port 80

mizuno said:
I think they use Rogers WAP settings
USER/PASS: wapuser1/wap
PROXY: 10.128.1.69 port 80

Those settings don't work for me on my SE W810i.

Does anyone else know how to program a non PC phone for internet usage?

Thanks!

I'm guessing that as the Rogers network migrates to the 3g network, they're dumping archival technoligies like WAP to sub providers to Zatar Network.

I just got 3 months for $7/month. That definitley costs more than the air time that I use in the same period, however I think that I would use the mobile internet on the phone a lot more.

For $7/month. It's peanuts.

Barayolayosa said:
Those settings don't work for me on my SE W810i.

Does anyone else know how to program a non PC phone for internet usage?

Thanks!

Those settings work for internet browsing on my wife's SE K850...

Petro Canada Mobility Web Settings

Hi all!

I did some research, since Petro Can. customer service refused to give me manual settings for my Palm Treo 650 on the Petro Can. (Rogers/Ztar) network. First of all, if you have a Petro Canada Mobility SIMM, it will work with any Rogers locked phone. O.k., that said, here are your settings for unlimited Petro Canada Web Browsing:

Service Name (or Service): RW WAP
Connection Type (or Connection): GPRS
Username: wapuser1
Password: (don't use one, leave blank)

And finally, you need to enter a proxy address (somewhere on your phone or smart phone there will be settings for this - I found the settings on my Palm Treo in the "Preferences" of my web browser program. (Blazer)

The proxy address is: 172.25.0.107
ad :80 at the end of the above address ie-( 172.25.0.107:80)
unless there is an option to enter a "port number", in that case you enter 80 in the required field.

Hope this helps all!

Petro Canada Mobility Web Settings

Oh, I almost forgot! I also had to set my web browser's homepage to:

wap:8582/start.wml

Once you do this, your browser will automatically load Petro Canada's home page and show your pre-paid balance. Then you can do anything you want.

Hi,

Thanks for the info csdrive. I've been working on that for 2 days now, but it's still not working :(

I've tried the speakout profile, then this one, but I still get the "pdp authentification failure".

I'm on a iphone 3.0 by the way.

I let you know if it works,
cheers!

I got mine to work... all I had to do was call PC and get them to activate the unlimited browsing and the settings posted by mizuno worked!

cxdrive said:
Oh, I almost forgot! I also had to set my web browser's homepage to:

wap:8582/start.wml

Once you do this, your browser will automatically load Petro Canada's home page and show your pre-paid balance. Then you can do anything you want.

Just set this up on my HTC Dream - seems to work! Thanks cxdrive!

re: petro can. mobility web settings

I don't know if this helps, but I'll tell you how I found my settings. First I tried the normal Rogers settings, but no proxy. I was able to connect to the network and browse only Rogers web pages. I tried links to google and other sites with no luck. My Treo (Blazer web browser) would only show "receiving" at the top of the screen and would not load any other site. I fiddled around with the web browser's menus and found through the "prefs" and then "advanced" settings, a field where I could put the proxy address. I also changed my "Network Connection Settings" to the settings I posted above. The key, I think, was the proxy. However, I think your phone has to show some sort of successful connection to the service provider first. Then, a proper proxy will allow your to pass through Rogers and on to the rest of the internet. I'm no expert by any means, I'm just a fiddler.

Here's a question. Could the type of network that Petro-Can provides be of older technology requiring older connection software on your mobile? Example - WAP vs GPRS vs EDGE vs 3G. I suspect since the cost is so low for our service, it's older technology therefore requiring older connection types.

cxdrive

cxdrive, can you please confirm if you got your unlimited data completely working with your iphone 3g? :confused:

This might sound like a silly question, but I'll ask it anyways.

Knowing these settings, do you still have to call and sign up (and pay) or do you get the internet with ust these settings?

Can't get mine to work yet but haven't phoned either....yet

Thanks

Back