New Unlimited Browsing option

Damn!! $50 for everything? and 3G speeds? That is pretty killer considering it is on the rogers network!

if tethering would work this would be a ridiculous deal.

I could only get tethering to work on my laptop browser with the required proxy settings, which only allows http. Better than nothing.

iPad 2 wifi tethering was a no-go. I'm hoping someone can and will prove me wrong =/

Is there a way to make the pop3 or imap working?

I know the wap version will work, but it's tedious to type username and password every time and a pain to switch between accounts.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I896 using HowardForums

I know the wap version will work, but it's tedious to type username and password every time and a pain to switch between accounts.

Probably won't work, since POP3 and IMAP both don't use port 80.

According to their FAQ, short answer is nope, not through pop or smtp (yet):
Can I send email using the Mobile Internet?
Yes. If you have an email service that offers a mobile portal, you may access that service from your Petro-Canada Mobility handset. Note: At this time we do not offer support for mobile device email applications that are built in to some phones.

When using the Nokia C3, or a compatible device with a Petro-Canada Mobility SIM, our mobile browsing option will allow you to use some email applications. At this time, we do not offer support for all mobile device email clients.

Hi all!
I am new to this forum and I am looking for information. I already own a PC phone, a Nokia that hasn't been working really well in the last little while. After looking all over the place, I found out that PC offers the best deal so I want to stick to PC with a new phone. I am looking at buying a new Android phone, which would allow me to connect to the internet with my laptop while I am waiting for the kids during their gymnastiue class. Here are my questions:
- Will the SIM card in my actual phone fit a new phone?
- Should I stick to a Rogers phone or can I buy a phone from any other company?
- I am not ready for a $500 phone. I was thinking of a LG Optimus Chat ($175 with Koodoo). Do you have a better suggestion?
Thanks for your help!

Unlocked phones and Rogers phones will work. So if you buy another phone from another company, you need to get it unlocked first (usually 5-20$ online)

You will not be able to use your laptop with this service except by settting up the proxy correctly - which will not work work all websites properly. There are some advanced hacks to make it work better, but without those your expectation should be a so-so web experience. (ports blocked, Rogers proxy compressing images and breaking some web pages).

The only thing that works 100% with no hacks are SSL pages - gmail, banking, etc.

How can I retrieve my Gmail through the browser?

Thanks for the info cloneman. I have some computer skills but I am probably not enough tecky to set things up to work properly. I think I am going to stick to the Nokia C3 for now and forget about trying to connect to internet.

Thanks again!

I have bought a Petro-Can Nokia 1661 for $9 with purchase of $50 air time. Pull the SIM card from the 1661 and insert into an unlocked Chatr Nokia C3 (which was on sale for $50 last week in Zeller). Call, message and voice mail all worked OK.

Called Petro-Can customer service to subscribe the "Unlimited Web Browsing" service for a monthly fee of $10. Needed to tell them the IMEI # of the C3 and verified with them that it was correctly received. That was done last Friday evening Aug 26. It is now Aug 30 i.e. 3 working days later. My C3 still could not connect to the web after I key in the APN setting read from Petro-Can's FAQ page.

Can anyone suggest what else I could try? Thanks!

Do you have a better suggestion?
Thanks for your help!

I suggest that you start a new thread for new questions. Yes, I realize they are related but people scan the titles so your chance of getting good answers is better that way.

I could only get tethering to work on my laptop browser with the required proxy settings, which only allows http. Better than nothing.

iPad 2 wifi tethering was a no-go. I'm hoping someone can and will prove me wrong =/

Hey... I'm toying with the proxy settings in Windows 7, using pdanet application for my Iphone 3gs for tethering. Can you tell me all the details that went into your setting up your laptop and phone? Or did you put your sim card in a USB stick? Don't care which OS you have, I'll switch to it if you can explain to me how you got it working! Thank-you very much.

Hello again everyone! Tethering issue solved. 3.6Mbs speeds over 3G. Here's what you need to do....

1. Sell whatever iphone, nokia, blackberry, etc., you've been messing around with and can't get to work.
2. Go buy yourself a Rogers SAMSUNG WAVE S8500 for half the price of any iphone or smart phone in its class, you'll be happy you did.
3. Install your SIMM, turn it on, find 'Settings' icon, then find 'Connectivity', scroll down to 'USB', tap on it, select 'PC INTERNET' for your USB connection, tap on 'Set' and back to your home screen.
4. Finally connect your phone to your PC via your USB cable. The phone will take over and install driver's for your new SAMSUNG WAVE S8500 modem. (Very similar to PDAnet, for those of you who are familiar with it) It should automatically create an internet connection and connect.
5. Enjoy unlimited web browsing on your computer.

whoa what??

Can you run torrents with that connection? Is it really unlimited like WIND's Unlimited where they start to throttle you?

3.6Mbps is pretty killer for the price then.

Hi guys,

I'm thinking of switching over from my previous provider. Thinking of getting an Android phone and then getting the unlimited monthly option.

Does browsing, appstore work fine?

I'm also thinking of subscribing to vbuzzer/skype and using VoIP to avoid roaming charges when I'm outside Toronto? Will this work?

Thanks a lot.

Total bullsh..t. I've subscribed to the Petro Canada "unlimited" plan at $50 per month. I told a lot of friends that this was the best plan in Canada today, even helped them get set up with a better Smartphone than PC has available. Now, Petro-Canada mobility has cut back a lot of data service we got two weeks ago and that's not fair. Give us our data back PC, or we're leaving. I know you admins and service reps are watching this thread. And to you who are working for Rogers Wireless, screw off, a deal is a deal.

Total bullsh..t. I've subscribed to the Petro Canada "unlimited" plan at $50 per month. I told a lot of friends that this was the best plan in Canada today, even helped them get set up with a better Smartphone than PC has available. Now, Petro-Canada mobility has cut back a lot of data service we got two weeks ago and that's not fair. Give us our data back PC, or we're leaving. I know you admins and service reps are watching this thread. And to you who are working for Rogers Wireless, screw off, a deal is a deal.

What can I say... you get what you pay for... I dont know about Iphone users but it works great on my Android with autoproxy. Im gonna try it on my wife's Iphone 3G

Speeds are pretty good 2Mbps download and... 25mbps upload?!?!? wtf?

PC unlimited browser

Hey new to this forum and smart phones in general. Anyways i seem to be having some issues with PC's unlimited browser. I had to manually enter the port information into my samsung galaxy ace, and normal browsing is fine. However when i try and load up youtube it gives me a “sorry this video cannot be played”message. So i downloaded the app (by wifi) and tried that, but got a “there was a problem with the network” message. Is there anything i can do to fix this issue?

Has anyone tried using the rogers-core-appl1.apn or internet.com rather than goam.com recently? (No proxy).

Hey new to this forum and smart phones in general. Anyways i seem to be having some issues with PC's unlimited browser. I had to manually enter the port information into my samsung galaxy ace, and normal browsing is fine. However when i try and load up youtube it gives me a “sorry this video cannot be played”message. So i downloaded the app (by wifi) and tried that, but got a “there was a problem with the network” message. Is there anything i can do to fix this issue?

You need to ROOT your phone and download and install Autoproxy for anything other than web browsing to work.

Has anyone tried using the rogers-core-appl1.apn or internet.com rather than goam.com recently? (No proxy).

ONLY goam.com works, i tried the other rogers apns and no they don't work.

Back