T-Mobile Nexus One: Non T-Mobile 3G phone /w grandfathered T-Mobile Internet?

mdaddy

HoFo Member
Device(s)
Nexus One
non T-Mobile 3G phone /w grandfathered T-Mobile Internet?

Forgive me if it's stated anywhere here, but quick look at wiki page doesn't have this.

I'm planning to get Nexus One from Google (no contract). I currently have a grand-fathered T-Mobile Internet ($19.99 /w unlimited data + hot spot).

Will I be able to use data on T-Mo 3G network using my existing plan?

While I can't say it with 100% certainty, I would say no.
It all depends if they are flagging the new IMEI prefix for the android HTC's in the billing system or not. If they are, you will need the newer data plan for android-devices/smart phones.

acegolfer said:
For a new customer, what's the cheapest plan for 3g data?
$10 - unlocked/unbranded phones except HTC Android phones. There are reports that other T-Mobile Android phones (Moto, Samsung, and etc) works with $10 data plan. WM 3G smartphones (TP2, Dash 3G, and Pharos 137) work with the $10 data plan.
$20 - EM+ smartphone/Android data plans
$30 - EM smartphone/Android data plans

No contract, your Android data plan with Voice would be a $25 add-on. *$55 minimum, $60 for unlimited text.

Would it be possible to get a data only plan? They offer it on their website.

beaucoup said:
Would it be possible to get a data only plan? They offer it on their website.

I just looked and the only data only plans I saw were for Blackberry, Sidekick and data cards.

Not to de-rail this thread but I am a current TMo customer and have a MyTouch3G. Will I have to make any changes to my account to use the N1? I'm not upgrading; I ordered the phone unlocked. Thanks!

fretster said:
Not to de-rail this thread but I am a current TMo customer and have a MyTouch3G. Will I have to make any changes to my account to use the N1? I'm not upgrading; I ordered the phone unlocked. Thanks!

I doubt it. Since you already have an android plan, you should just be able to plug your SIM card in the N1 and go.

iFone3G said:
No contract, your Android data plan with Voice would be a $25 add-on. *$55 minimum, $60 for unlimited text.
No it's either $30 on EM or $20 on EM+. The $25 data plan is a grandfathered plan for those who still have the old voice plans.

So i'm to assume if I buy this unlocked I won't be able to use my 5.99 tzones plan.

totally sucks,

guess that nokia n900 is looking better and better right now.

bachviet said:
No it's either $30 on EM or $20 on EM+. The $25 data plan is a grandfathered plan for those who still have the old voice plans.
It's not $20 on EM+, standalone it is $25. Only when bundled with SMS/MMS is it $20

Have you heard of T-Mobile Total Internet Plan with T-Mobile SIM Card?

It's only $40 per month. I don't see why this wouldn't work on N1.

The total cost of ownership for 2 years is

$530 + $40/m * 24 = $1,490.

This is very tempting.

iFone3G said:
It requires a postpaid contract

I'm at the check out page and it doesn't say anything about postpaid contract. Can you elaborate?

I'm getting Total internet plan ($40/m) + T-mobile SIM card. Why do I need a postpaid contract?

It would be great if they allow N1 to use the $10 web2go plan that is working on the iPhone.

I have an old MyFaves family plan, and I have the 5.99 t-zones internet (currently on an iPhone). If I bought an unlocked N1...what do you think they would do? Upgrade my data? To which plan...? We're out of contract and I doubt they'd hose the whole plan - isn't the purpose of buying the phone unlocked to be able to use your current plan?

If they flag the IMEI - to which data plan would they upgrade my line on my family plan?

nachobel said:
I have an old MyFaves family plan, and I have the 5.99 t-zones internet (currently on an iPhone). If I bought an unlocked N1...what do you think they would do? Upgrade my data? To which plan...? We're out of contract and I doubt they'd hose the whole plan - isn't the purpose of buying the phone unlocked to be able to use your current plan?

If they flag the IMEI - to which data plan would they upgrade my line on my family plan?
If you buy it unlocked (MSRP), T-Mobile can't change your plan. If T-Mobile shutdowns cheap data plans on the N1, you just can't use data except when you are on WiFi.

Back