Official AT&T C-Band and DoD Upgrade Thread! "Post Your Market"

Ad Above Message List
I have seen "some" 5g+ in my area. newhall, CA and Henry Mayo in Valencia.. but that's about it.

Sent from my motorola edge (2022) using HoFo mobile app

As of yesterday, I saw the 5G+ indicator for the first time in Fort Wayne, Indiana (near Spy Run Ave. and State Blvd.) I managed to run a speed test, pulling 432Mbps down and 18Mbps up, but couldn't get the field test on my iPhone to refresh, but I'm guessing there may be more soon as AT&T has had equipment on a lot of towers in this corner of Indiana for awhile.

As of yesterday, I saw the 5G+ indicator for the first time in Fort Wayne, Indiana (near Spy Run Ave. and State Blvd.) I managed to run a speed test, pulling 432Mbps down and 18Mbps up, but couldn't get the field test on my iPhone to refresh, but I'm guessing there may be more soon as AT&T has had equipment on a lot of towers in this corner of Indiana for awhile.

I have not yet seen any Cband panels up on any AT&T tower in the area (Allen/Dekalb/Stueben/Noble counties) so it would be great if they are starting to deploy, and starting in their most congested area in this market (downtown Fort Wayne)!

coverage map updated 1/31/24. It's showing some future cband rollouts (zoom in even if you dont see the 5g+ logo). Greensboro NC is an example.

I have not yet seen any Cband panels up on any AT&T tower in the area (Allen/Dekalb/Stueben/Noble counties) so it would be great if they are starting to deploy, and starting in their most congested area in this market (downtown Fort Wayne)!

Yeah, nothing on the coverage maps yet (at least checking after matt110's post). Compared with past upgrades, the waiting-for-availability has made things a bit strange. AT&T has always taken care of Indy and the doughnut counties first, then usually Fort Wayne, South Bend, and NW Indiana, followed by Muncie, Lafayette, Bloomington, and Evansville. This time, it's been Indy, Muncie, NW Indiana, then Evansville and South Bend.

It's a little weird they chose the one they did (my guess is eNB ID 722730), as it's not in the most congested area, but still dense enough of an area that if things didn't go right, it would affect a lot of people. I'm wondering if it's just ease of access—the "tower" that services much of downtown is on the old Holiday Inn (eNB ID 722726). For the most part, AT&T works pretty well in the area, but mid-band will be welcome around Parkview Field during baseball games.

I could've sworn that it looked like eNB ID 722735 (Diebold Rd. & Clinton St.) has had C-band panels for awhile, just not turned on, but it's been awhile since I've been over there.

For what it's worth, T-Mobile has their usual n71/n41 setup in the area and Verizon has a few mmWave sites and turned on C-Band awhile back. It'll be nice to see AT&T catch up.

It's a little weird they chose the one they did (my guess is eNB ID 722730), as it's not in the most congested area, but still dense enough of an area that if things didn't go right, it would affect a lot of people. I'm wondering if it's just ease of access—the "tower" that services much of downtown is on the old Holiday Inn (eNB ID 722726). For the most part, AT&T works pretty well in the area, but mid-band will be welcome around Parkview Field during baseball games.

I could've sworn that it looked like eNB ID 722735 (Diebold Rd. & Clinton St.) has had C-band panels for awhile, just not turned on, but it's been awhile since I've been over there.

For what it's worth, T-Mobile has their usual n71/n41 setup in the area and Verizon has a few mmWave sites and turned on C-Band a while back. It'll be nice to see AT&T catch up.

Yeah, Verizon Cband works really nicely around Fort Wayne and Tmobile is so consistent with n41 on 99% of sites. 722730 was one of the first sites permitted so I think it will probably get panels first. 722735 doesn't have Cband, but Verizon on the macro right next to it has had it for a while.

Yeah, Verizon Cband works really nicely around Fort Wayne and Tmobile is so consistent with n41 on 99% of sites. 722730 was one of the first sites permitted so I think it will probably get panels first. 722735 doesn't have Cband, but Verizon on the macro right next to it has had it for a while.

Good to know, I must've seen the Verizon site instead. Any good place to see what other AT&T sites have been permitted in that area to keep an eye out?

They recently installed C-band only on a site near me, no DoD. Guessing it was a cost savings since this is a pretty low density area on this side of town. Was able to get 750 down aggregating 80MHz n77 with 10MHz n5 plus 20x20 B2. Interestingly a tower on the other side of town has both C-band and DoD on it. But that one covers a couple retail stores and one sector covers the Bluegrass Parkway. Bardstown Ky.20240313_185259.jpg

Sent from my SM-S908U using HoFo mobile app

That's very interesting. Every site in my market that has gotten C-band got both, except only one that I've found so far.

And it's a very similar situation. The site is a coverage/capacity fill-in site that they located on about a year and a half ago. Site has 10x10 B12, 10x10 B14, 10x10 B30, 10x10 B66, 20x20 B2, 5x5 B2, 10x10 n5, and only 80 MHz of n77. No DoD.

There is an upgraded site in Traverse City, Michigan that now has C band/DoD and n66/DSS.

I have noticed recently that a lot of new 5G+ coverage has shown up on AT&T's coverage maps, all over the country. Is this new mid-band 5G service that they are rolling out? Is this the new C-Band spectrum that is now being utilized? There was a lot of chatter in here in 2023 about Verizon being ready to turn on a massive amount of C-Band spectrum in 2024 when it became available to be used, but I have not seen any change in their coverage maps so far this year, so is this change for AT&T related to use of the C-Band spectrum they bought?

There was a lot of chatter in here in 2023 about Verizon being ready to turn on a massive amount of C-Band spectrum in 2024 when it became available to be used, but I have not seen any change in their coverage maps so far this year, so is this change for AT&T related to use of the C-Band spectrum they bought?
The spectrum that Verizon began using was the remaining C-band that had not been cleared early by satellite operators. When that spectrum became available, Verizon expanded their 60 MHz n77 channels (where they were still using pre-clearing interim spectrum assignments [C-band blocks A1-3]) to 100 MHz n77, and also turned on a second n77 carrier at 3.8 GHz to use the remaining B-block spectrum that they were assigned and where equipment was capable. (Some of the Samsung RRUs required a software update to support the second n77 carrier, which was not available when spectrum clearing completed.)

AT&T actually had to vacate 3.76-3.80 GHz, which was the interim assignment until clearing completed, before Verizon could expand their primary n77 carrier. That largely happened last summer across a two or three week period. I recall it was around June or July 2023 when AT&T moved to their permanent 80 MHz spectrum in my market.

This expansion would not affect the coverage maps. It simply added more capacity in areas where they already deployed C-band radios.

Whatever expansion of AT&T C-band that you're seeing on the coverage maps would be due to AT&T updating outdated maps (I've already found n2 in an area that is still not shown on AT&T's own public map) or due to actual expansion of n77 coverage with hardware upgrades. While Nokia markets have seen limited expansion over the past 9 months due to the pending beginning of this new AT&T-Ericsson O-RAN deal, current Ericsson markets have purportedly been seeing new C-band coming online at an uninterrupted pace.

AT&T has always had "5G+" on their coverage maps, but it has always referred to the millimeter-wave service they have in arenas and very high-density use and population areas. This new 5G+ they are showing is in rural areas, smaller cities and towns away from the major metropolitan areas such as southwest Kansas around the cities of Liberal, Garden City, and Dodge City for example. This coverage just showed up on AT&T's maps in the past week. They are squares of coverage, a little odd but whatever. A page on AT&T's website now says that 5G+ refers to either high-band/high density areas such as arenas as well as mid-band coverage

Attachments

• at&t5G+.jpg
    at&t5G+.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 28
Mostly "lipstick on a pig". This has been occurring for decades, and likely will into perpetuity, when they are merely relabeling networks to make folks think that it has been changed. I assure you that all the carriers play this game from time to time.

AT&T has always had "5G+" on their coverage maps, but it has always referred to the millimeter-wave service they have in arenas and very high-density use and population areas. This new 5G+ they are showing is in rural areas, smaller cities and towns away from the major metropolitan areas such as southwest Kansas around the cities of Liberal, Garden City, and Dodge City for example. This coverage just showed up on AT&T's maps in the past week. They are squares of coverage, a little odd but whatever. A page on AT&T's website now says that 5G+ refers to either high-band/high density areas such as arenas as well as mid-band coverage
That changed roughly two years ago, though. AT&T never publicly shared mmWave maps, just pushpins highlighting cities that had some undisclosed amount of mmWave coverage.

There was somebody who found a way to expose a hidden mmWave layer in AT&T's coverage map back in 2022. It revealed outdated, but rare insights into AT&T's own mmWave coverage mapping and revealed just how limited we all suspected AT&T mmWave coverage really was. AT&T quickly updated the map to remove the hidden layer and it has never returned since. (By comparison, a similar hidden mmWave layer exists in Verizon's map and they've never made an effort to hide it from anyone who has known how to expose it with the right browser extension.)

Here are captures from that brief time when it was available. It was only visible at close zoom levels, so some cities may have been missed. I know for a fact that new mmWave sites have been added to my region since this was captured, so it is unquestionably out-of-date. But still interesting, as most of the mmWave shown here should still be present.

Anyway, AT&T added that 5G+ coverage layer to showcase C-band nearly two years ago. It's unclear if mmWave is merged into that color layer -- everywhere that they have mmWave in my region, they also claim to have C-band coverage.

Mostly "lipstick on a pig". This has been occurring for decades, and likely will into perpetuity, when they are merely relabeling networks to make folks think that it has been changed. I assure you that all the carriers play this game from time to time.
Oh I definitely know they do this. Coverage maps are never a good source of reliable information from any carrier. Here in my area, AT&T has been showing 5G coverage over a huge swath of territory for years now that does not actually exist at all. I found this out when my phone started showing 5G here when a new Tillman Infrastructure tower was built and new AT&T equipment was installed on it. AT&T's coverage maps still do not show 5G here even though it has been available for 6 months now. I stopped into the local AT&T store where the 5G is supposed to be available and asked about it, the lady said they don't have 5G there at all, never have had. False advertising for sure, and I have found the same situation in many different places.

False advertising for sure, and I have found the same situation in many different places.
I wouldn't go as far as labeling it "false advertising" but rather "deceptive advertising" instead.

Ironically.... 5 months after local tower rebuild, where AT&T reps even claimed 'tower is only 4G LTE', and no ETA for update to 5g/5g + (even though AT&T's coverage map shows me as 5G+), work has coaxed employees to migrate their devices to T-Mobile (corp savings ... 1/2 price). 1 day after I put my requisition in ... AT&T lites up the site with 5G+ ... go figure.

I wouldn't go as far as labeling it "false advertising" but rather "deceptive advertising" instead.
One could consider it both. False because they say they have 5G but do not, or deceptive because they show 5G but it is not available.

I wondered for a while if my Pixel 8 cannot receive some of the spectrum that AT&T is using for 5G. The hodge-podge chart of supported spectrum for the device makes it difficult to make a determination when you don't know what spectrum is being used in any particular area. Cellmapper can be a bit of a source for that info but is difficult to make sense of as well. The bottom line is that in my travels recently on a trip across Oklahoma into Missouri and on down through a large part of Arkansas, I found that there is a LOT of territory where AT&T is showing 5G service that does not light up on this phone. That really makes me wonder if the Pixel actually supports AT&T's 5G.

Back