Project Fi on iPhone SE 2020 "eSIM"

Ad Above Message List

1stlink

HoFo Member
I'm thinking that I might try Project Fi on my iPhone SE (2020) eSIM

Has anyone tried this yet? I hear that it is in Beta and a bit buggy. Any experience, thoughts, or comments. :befuddled

Around two years ago. It’s fine now. Your SE will only work on the T-Mobile network only because it is not a designed-for Google Fi phone.

Ad in Threadview Above Message Content
Peterfield seems to be talking about the original SE, not the 2020 version. BUT HE'S CORRECT, Apple does not offer the capability to switch among carriers so that function of Fi isn't there ... as of July 2020, on any of its models. eSIM needs special handling; TMo supports them in certain circumstances. Talk to a TMo tech support rep who understands them before relying on it. There's much bad info out there; I've read a lot, and know nothing.

Thank s for the info Peterfield and gbynum. I have decided to pass on Project Fi at least for now. I really like the SE But it isn’t P-Fi friendly. Moving on.
Thanks again

Thank s for the info Peterfield and gbynum. I have decided to pass on Project Fi at least for now. I really like the SE But it isn’t P-Fi friendly. Moving on.
Thanks again

I don't think your statement catches the sentiment correctly. There are many 2020 iPhone SE users on Project Fi who are happy. One friend who recently ’upgraded’ (his term) never saw other networks on his Google phone.

I don't think your statement catches the sentiment correctly. There are many 2020 iPhone SE users on Project Fi who are happy. One friend who recently ’upgraded’ (his term) never saw other networks on his Google phone.

It is good to know that there are SE satisfied users on Project Fi. Perhaps I did miss the sentiment but unfortunately none of the many happy users responded to my original post. Hopefully others will find this information helpful.

Thanks again

Ad in Threadview Above Message Content
I used it for a little bit as a test on my iPhone SE 2020 using eSIM. It worked fine, but carrier switching does not happen on non android phones.

Though, carrier switching is a good idea in thought but in practice let’s take a look at the various networks Fi uses:
- T-Mobile: no issues, if your service is good on TMo you’re good. This is what iPhones use.
- Sprint: now owned by T-Mo, network integration between the two is underway
- US Cellular: only really has service in rural areas.

Their “three” networks are soon to be two, with one only being in rural areas. So unless you are rural you’d not be taking advantage of the switching anyway.

The Google part of Fi is good. Integrates into hangouts on the computer so you can do stuff through there, and if you choose to cancel they port your number to Voice for free.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

I have a Pixel 3XL on Fi and a 12 Pro Max on T-Mobile, I'm thinking of putting my T-Mobile number on an e-sim and putting the Fi sim in the Pro Max when I go to the Caribbean. Fi on the Pixel was much faster than T-Mobile on an iPhone in Hong Kong, Thailand, Vietnam and Indonesia November 2019.
I understand that the 5G may not work on the Fi

Back