Satellite Connectivity In Cell Phones

Ad Above Message List

Jim1348

HoFo Member
With all of the information about cell phone to satellite connectivity lately, I created a list to help me make sense out of it. Please feel free to proofread this for me and respond with any changes/corrections:

Cellular Mobile Telephone/Carriers & Satellite Partners:

Apple: Globalstar

Android: Iridium Communications Inc

AT&T: AST Space Mobile

T-Mobile: SpaceX Starlink

Verizon: Amazon Project Kuiper

As I understand things currently, if you have an Apple iPhone 14 or iPhone 14 Pro with iOS 16.1 or later, Emergency SOS is available, if you are in a place with no cellular and Wi-Fi coverage, you may be able to communicate through Globalstar satellite network.

Android phones will need Android OS 14 and Qualcomm Snapdragon 8 Gen 2 chipset to work on Iridium for future service.

At the carrier level, AT&T is partnering with AST Space Mobile.

T-Mobile is partnering with SpaceX Starlink.

Verizon is partnering with Amazon Project Kuiper.

I have specifically NOT included any devices that require a second device to work, like the Motorola Defy Satellite Link, ACR Bivy Stick and Zoleo satellite communicators. The Garmin InReach, SPOT Gens and Somewear Global Hotspot may be other choices, too.

I also have not included any traditional, stand alone satellite phones that have been around for awhile.
(It looks like the legacy mobile satellite service providers are: Iridium, Inmarsat, GlobalStar and Thuraya.)

Who/what am I missing?

These all require very large satellites to make up for the anemic phone antenna.

Ad in Threadview Above Message Content
one thing that surprise me a bit is that we are not seeing any return of the 'car phone' although in the form of a installable satellite transceiver that provides a reliable wifi connection in a car, truck, bus, rv, etc. including outside of cellular service areas.

i would think there is a market among people wanting to avoid any dead spot while inside there vehicles and i would think such a setup with presumably larger antennas would be far more consistent and reliable versus communicating directly to a handset.

Starlink is now common in RVs and on boats.

It's pricey of course, and not integrated with cell based comms.

That latter is hopefully where innovation will come soon.

I doubt pricing will be coming down much.

With all of the information about cell phone to satellite connectivity lately, I created a list to help me make sense out of it. Please feel free to proofread this for me and respond with any changes/corrections:

Cellular Mobile Telephone/Carriers & Satellite Partners:

Android: Iridium Communications Inc

AT&T: AST Space Mobile

T-Mobile: SpaceX Starlink

Verizon: Amazon Project Kuiper

As I understand things currently, if you have an Apple iPhone 14 or iPhone 14 Pro with iOS 16.1 or later, Emergency SOS is available, if you are in a place with no cellular and Wi-Fi coverage, you may be able to communicate through Globalstar satellite network.

Android phones will need Android OS 14 and Qualcomm Snapdragon 8 Gen 2 chipset to work on Iridium for future service.

At the carrier level, AT&T is partnering with AST Space Mobile.

T-Mobile is partnering with SpaceX Starlink.

Verizon is partnering with Amazon Project Kuiper.

I have specifically NOT included any devices that require a second device to work, like the Motorola Defy Satellite Link, ACR Bivy Stick and Zoleo satellite communicators. The Garmin InReach, SPOT Gens and Somewear Global Hotspot may be other choices, too.

I also have not included any traditional, stand alone satellite phones that have been around for awhile.
(It looks like the legacy mobile satellite service providers are: Iridium, Inmarsat, GlobalStar and Thuraya.)

Who/what am I missing?

Good to see some new posts.
There's a Hauwai Mate 60 phone for rhe Chinese government run BeiDou (BDS) satellite service which is at least $1,500 on ebay and I'm sure has PRC spyware on it.
The issue with the satellite messaging on newer iphones is that it's limited to the coverage area for Globalstar service which isn't worldwide.
The sleeves for android/iphones cost as much as a sat phone.
There are other small service providers but i'd rather use one of the big 4.

Ad in Threadview Above Message Content

Capture.JPG

new.JPG

latest.JPG

Back