Something Bad Is Coming For Legacy T-Mobile Customers

Ad Above Message List
I'm on the old (original) 55+ plan. 2 lines $60 and one apple Ultra+ watch $10. Got the text today. Price will go up $5 a line and $2 for the watch. Just yesterday I saw an advertisement by T-Mobile on tv.....$25 line, $10 for watch. This doesn't make sense. BUT I will move on to another carrier or sub carrier. So much for their "price lock" feature. ☹️

1716407360121.png

Ad in Threadview Above Message Content
Their 'price lock' seems to be a bit of a farce to begin with...

Starting January 18, 2024, customers activating or switching to an eligible rate plan get our Price Lock guarantee that only you can change what you pay—and we mean it! To show just how serious we are, if we were to make a price change and you decide to leave, just let us know within 60 days and we’ll cover the cost of your final month’s recurring service charges.
Basically states .. if T-Mobile changes the price, 'and' you let them know within 60 days, they'll cover your final months 'recurring' (aka service not device) charges. ... as they port you to another carrier, or plan.

Basically meaningless.

I have 3 lines on the Go5G Plus plan that I began a year ago in June. Just received a text that they’re raising the fee $2 per line.
By the way, TMUS stock went up $1.14 a share today. So apparently investors are pleased with the increase.

I guess a GOOD question here for many:
Will AT&T or Verizon offer anything to scoop up T-Mobile customers that feel that the 'price lock' or 'uncarrier promise' was just a cheap sales tactic.

'price lock' does not mean you are locked into a price, rather its the name of a t-mobile program that promises you can leave and they will pay you back for your final month if you choose to do so after an announced price increase.

I guess a GOOD question here for many:
Will AT&T or Verizon offer anything to scoop up T-Mobile customers that feel that the 'price lock' or 'uncarrier promise' was just a cheap sales tactic.
i'm guessing the answer is sort of, all the carriers want the customers who are less price sensitive and they choose to compete primarily on handset promotion deals instead of on monthly price as a result. the exceptions were T-Mobile and Sprint prior to merger, those days are over now though,

so i'm guessing they will go after them but by offering aggressive handset promo and not by offering cheaper rate plans.

I agree - handsets or limited time promos (packages for streaming) would be their method. Kinda also goes with their T-Mobile Tuesday junkets.

Wow, not even honoring their price lock feature anymore. That may result in some lawsuits?
It's funny because they still have John Legere's press release on their website from 2017 when they released the T-Mobile One plan. Here's what it says:

"New Rule: Only YOU Should Have the Power to Change What You Pay – Introducing Un-contract for T-Mobile ONE

Today, T-Mobile introduced the Un-contract for T-Mobile ONE – and notched another industry first with the first-ever price guarantee on an unlimited 4G LTE plan. With the Un-contract, T-Mobile signs, and customers hold all the power. Now, T-Mobile ONE customers keep their price until THEY decide to change it. T-Mobile will never change the price you pay for your T-Mobile ONE plan. When you sign up for T-Mobile ONE, only YOU have the power to change the price you pay. "
So that's the plan I signed up for and I still have it until this day. There's no loophole in that statement. It's just pretty straightforward. I keep my price until I decide otherwise.

But in 2022, when they were modifying price locks for new plans, they posted this is which is currently on their website:

"Qualifying mobile wireless accounts activated before April 28, 2022, received our Un-contract Promise. The Un-contract promise is our commitment that only you can change what you pay. We will pay your final month’s recurring service charge if we raise prices, and you choose to leave. Just let us know within 60 days."

Huh? No the contract is that only I can decide to change....what idiot attorney advised them that if they offer to give me a stupid free final month of service that gets out of their obligation to keep providing me service at the same price in perpetuity? I would definitely hop on any class action lawsuit that gets started on this. The original un-contract never gave them an out clause of paying one free month to end the agreement. So they are obligated to honor John Legere's promise.

One of the current news threads mentioned it would be staggered across the day - starting in the east coast.
Wonder if this 'helps'

Good info.

Still nothing here. Even though my rate plan is only $30, my bill still comes out to $115 per month since I finance my iPhone 15 Pro, finance accessories and pay for Premium Insurance with Apple Care +.

I don’t use much data so I don’t think I’m much of a burden on their network ARPU wise.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

No communication so far. I am on a really old plan.

I just want to know what will happen to my EIP. I've paid off my phone already and credit is coming in each month. I don't know what will happen if I have to cancel my plan.

I received my rate increase notice yesterday, $5/month for my basic plan plus $2/month for attached devices, meaning my Watch. All in all a 14% rate increase, pretty substantial. If T-Mobile uses these new funds to upgrade their service in my community by building a site IN town as all the other carriers did years ago instead of "making do" with a site 6 miles out in the country (and in other places around the country with the same situation), and equip it with 5G UC, I will be fine with the rate increase. If they do not, I will be a bit upset.

Got the text yesterday. $5 per line on my old 55+ One plan. About a 17% increase. The problem I see is they are just testing the water for future increases.

So my buddy said that if you go into your account on the Website & Not the App you can see if your plan is going up. I guess if you see in yellow & black that we can't show you your plan right now & some items may be missing due to technical difficulties then it means your plan is going up. Screenshot_20240522-211105.jpg

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

It's funny because they still have John Legere's press release on their website from 2017 when they released the T-Mobile One plan. Here's what it says:

"New Rule: Only YOU Should Have the Power to Change What You Pay – Introducing Un-contract for T-Mobile ONE

Today, T-Mobile introduced the Un-contract for T-Mobile ONE – and notched another industry first with the first-ever price guarantee on an unlimited 4G LTE plan. With the Un-contract, T-Mobile signs, and customers hold all the power. Now, T-Mobile ONE customers keep their price until THEY decide to change it. T-Mobile will never change the price you pay for your T-Mobile ONE plan. When you sign up for T-Mobile ONE, only YOU have the power to change the price you pay. "
So that's the plan I signed up for and I still have it until this day. There's no loophole in that statement. It's just pretty straightforward. I keep my price until I decide otherwise.

But in 2022, when they were modifying price locks for new plans, they posted this is which is currently on their website:

"Qualifying mobile wireless accounts activated before April 28, 2022, received our Un-contract Promise. The Un-contract promise is our commitment that only you can change what you pay. We will pay your final month’s recurring service charge if we raise prices, and you choose to leave. Just let us know within 60 days."

Huh? No the contract is that only I can decide to change....what idiot attorney advised them that if they offer to give me a stupid free final month of service that gets out of their obligation to keep providing me service at the same price in perpetuity? I would definitely hop on any class action lawsuit that gets started on this. The original un-contract never gave them an out clause of paying one free month to end the agreement. So they are obligated to honor John Legere's promise.
For YOU, and all others with plans covered by that "Un-contract", I'd definitely encourage filing BBB and FCC complaints IF your plan price increases.

My current "Magenta Business Tablet Promo" (SOC ZB10HSTI) plans were opened in January 2023 and October 2023, and I really have no idea if there was any price guarantee. Fortunately, at least for now, I've received no notification of a price increase.

For YOU, and all others with plans covered by that "Un-contract", I'd definitely encourage filing BBB and FCC complaints IF your plan price increases.

My current "Magenta Business Tablet Promo" (SOC ZB10HSTI) plans were opened in January 2023 and October 2023, and I really have no idea if there was any price guarantee. Fortunately, at least for now, I've received no notification of a price increase.
i may be mistaken but I do not believe any business accounts have received price increase notices

i believe all consumer Megenta BTS(Beyond the smartphone including tablet, watches, hotspots) have gotten $ 2 per line increases

i may be mistaken but I do not believe any business accounts have received price increase notices

i believe all consumer Megenta BTS(Beyond the smartphone including tablet, watches, hotspots) have gotten $ 2 per line increases
Thanks. Just one more reason I'm thankful that you first posted about that plan, and that I finally got myself motivated to switch!

I received my rate increase notice yesterday, $5/month for my basic plan plus $2/month for attached devices, meaning my Watch. All in all a 14% rate increase, pretty substantial. If T-Mobile uses these new funds to upgrade their service in my community by building a site IN town as all the other carriers did years ago instead of "making do" with a site 6 miles out in the country (and in other places around the country with the same situation), and equip it with 5G UC, I will be fine with the rate increase. If they do not, I will be a bit upset.

lol prepare to be a bit upset.

lol prepare to be a bit upset.
I am, LOL. The DAY after receiving the notice of the increased price I got the text informing me of this month's automatic withdrawl at the new rate. I wish they were that fast at building new sites and upgrading existing sites.

In the end, i have to be rational about this:
1. At the end of the day, is TMobile still less expensive than At&t or Verizon on postpaid?
2. Are the others any better "where I need/use service " ?
3. Should i go prepaid?
4. Are TMobiles Tuesday offers really worth anything?
5. Don't think that At&t/Verizon won't raise rates (again) either.

I haven't seen a notice/text from TMobile yet, so ... ill wait.

Sent from my SM-S911U1 using HoFo mobile app

Wow, not even honoring their price lock feature anymore. That may result in some lawsuits?
Not a chance that they didn't consult their own attorneys before deciding to allow the price change. I am certain that no matter what the old promotion promised there will be some expiration date buried in the microprint. I am not defending anybody, just offering my opinion.

Back