tracfone no service after transferring balance from another tracfone

What others propose, is unclear to me.

The correct process is to activate the bundle phone with the number you want to keep.

That does the Combine for you automatically

in fact it is the ONLY combine process that is allowed under the (often unenforced) rules set by management

it does not require any contact with CSRs, there are "no risks" involved amap w/ TF

if it turns out you do not want that new bundled phone, you just reactivate another with that line's number to transfer it. Which could be back to the phone you were using previously.

Yes just say

I want my service time and bucket balances moved from XXX-XXX-XXXX over to YYY-YYY-YYYY, adding them together.

Please confirm XXX-XXX-XXXX has an end date of xx/yy/yyyy and (text, minutes, MBs or GBs), and YYY-YYY-YYYY has...

YYY-YYY-YYYY is the "winning number" the one I want to keep.

I am aware I will lose the number XXX-XXX-XXXX.

Using "Line A" terminology just confuses them.

KISS!

Some time ago, I tried saying line A and line B. Seemed clear to me, but they didn't like it at all. They said WE CAN'T DO THAT! So now I start the chat with the two phone numbers. XXX XXX XXXX to YYY YYY YYYY. Speeds up the chat Q&A.

There is no "second step" if you are doing it right
I did more than a combine. The combine was Step 1, the "more" was Step 2. Sorry if my choice of words causes a dispute.

The correct process is to activate the bundle phone with the number you want to keep.
A bundle is not what I'm talking about. I described it earlier in the thread.

Yes just say ...
I keep it to a bare minimum:

I need to move the balance of
XXX XXX XXXX to YYY YYY YYYY
I have both phones
I'm ready for your code

Whether a bundle is involved or not is not relevant to the scenarios that require CSR involvement.

No need for you to try to explain what you thought you meant, for me anyway, I'm all set after working with many dozen lines on TF for over a decade.

IMO it is stupid to buy any plans from TF since the bundles are so much better value even tossing the phones, I have enough sitting on my shelf to last over a year from now, some lines are all set for 3-4 years out anyway.

And 1000x agree with those stating, whatever you do, avoid involving CSRs at all costs.

I have both phones
I'm ready for your code
That is all wrong, in many ways

you are not asking for the buckets to be combined there.

Most likely AT BEST the X buckets would wipe out the Y ones

It is "not allowed" to keep the target number you are transferring buckets to, really unlikely to succeed

and you really do need to pay attention to service time

Simple but not too simple.

I have both phones
I'm ready for your code
It's not a life or death medical procedure. It's only prepaid minutes. If the worst happens, I can buy another plan and start over. What worked for me may fail for you. Swim at your own risk. No lifeguard on duty.

Whether a bundle is involved or not is not relevant to the scenarios that require CSR involvement.

No need for you to try to explain what you thought you meant, for me anyway, I'm all set after working with many dozen lines on TF for over a decade.

IMO it is stupid to buy any plans from TF since the bundles are so much better value even tossing the phones, I have enough sitting on my shelf to last over a year from now, some lines are all set for 3-4 years out anyway.

And 1000x agree with those stating, whatever you do, avoid involving CSRs at all costs.

you are not asking for the buckets to be combined there.

Most likely AT BEST the X buckets would wipe out the Y ones

It is "not allowed" to keep the target number you are transferring buckets to, really unlikely to succeed

and you really do need to pay attention to service time

Simple but not too simple.
The "It is "not allowed" to keep the target number you are transferring buckets to, really unlikely to succeed" part is absolutely not true. I've successfully done this dozens of times.

Yeah it's a basic A phone with buckets and time that combine (add to) the B phone buckets and time which keeps its phone number. B phone is the phone with the number you want to keep. The A phone device and its number after the combine deactivates.

With HSN bundles, you can transfer your current phone A line buckets and time and phone number to the HSN bundle B phone to activate it. The B HSN bundle phone with its 1500 mtd and year will combine with what transferred over to it from the A phone and it will have the phone number of the A phone/line. After, you could transfer elsewhere unless you want to unlock the hsn phone (i don't know if it will unlock from just a day of service) in that case you may need to reside in it for 60 days.

If you were doing an AAL, you might activate the HSN bundle as a new line. After unlocking and getting the AAL. You could combine it (now phone A bundle phone) into your current phone (phone B).

Last edited:
The thing is, not everbody wants to order phones from HSN, wait 3 or 4 days for the delivery, get the phones and have to set them up and transfer activate them or do combines etc. And deal with potential problems along the way. People have had their account wrecked by doing combines. And they did everything right.

Some people just want it done fast .. like yesterday - so for these people a year plan that you can order instantly or the $49.99 year add-on works for them because it is fast, doesn't require much knowledge and learning and much less stressful and relatively assured.

I don't think that is stupid, They may even know the other options. They just have different wants/needs, appetitie for risk/stress and these are good options for them imo. Some people could care less about TF rewards and this and that, they just want the phone to have service and forget about it.

Last edited:
But if we're still at it ...

Minimal "combine" chats work for me. I use a desktop computer for the chat, and a third device (smartphone) with Tracfone My Account app installed. It shows all my lines and balance details (buckets and service end date). Any changes to the details appear almost instantly in the app.

I simply say "move" and "balance" and they know what I mean. No need for an elaborate picture of "buckets," checking totals, etc. The app shows me what they did and streamlines the chat. I further reduced my script and it worked again:

I have both phones

YMMV. Swim at your own risk. No lifeguard on duty,

But if we're still at it ...

Minimal "combine" chats work for me. I use a desktop computer for the chat, and a third device (smartphone) with Tracfone My Account app installed. It shows all my lines and balance details (buckets and service end date). Any changes to the details appear almost instantly in the app.

I simply say "move" and "balance" and they know what I mean. No need for an elaborate picture of "buckets," checking totals, etc. The app shows me what they did and streamlines the chat. I further reduced my script and it worked again:

I have both phones

YMMV. Swim at your own risk. No lifeguard on duty,

If we are talking about a combine, I don't like it. Sounds like a transfer.

I've always used Hi. I'd like to please add the bucket units (or just units) and time remaining on my line xxx xxx-xxx1 to my line xxx-xxx-xxx2. I understand that line xxx-xxx-xxx1 will deactivate after. Can I do this?

The answser usually weeds out inexperienced or incompetent reps.

I got some of the language from an old hpham script. They seem to love that unit talk and understand it immediately.

I've done dozens of combines with this ...and not simple activating a phone stuff where the stakes are minimal.... but moving 15k buckets to a phone with 10k buckets and multiple years time across multiple different devices.

But to each their own.

Added: don't forget to ask for balances first and to get a reference number and copy paste chat into text file and save.

Get account screenshots.

Don't like it. Sounds like a transfer.

I've always used Hi. I'd like to please add the bucket units and time remaining on my line xxx xxx-xxx1 to my line xxx-xxx-xxx2. I understand that line xxx-xxx-xxx1 will deactivate after. Can I do this?
Too wordy for me. I prefer terse dialogue.

But to each their own.
Of course. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Added: don't forget to ask for balances first
That makes more work for the rep. They appreciate it when you don't treat them like a child.

get a reference number and copy paste chat into text file and save ... Get account screenshots.
I see the results almost instantly in the Tracfone My Account app, before the chat ends. No need for further steps. The rep appreciates that too. The quicker the better. It improves their performance metrics.

That makes more work for the rep. They appreciate it when you don't treat them like a child.

I see the results almost instantly in the Tracfone My Account app, before the chat ends. No need for further steps. The rep appreciates that too. The quicker the better. It improves their performance metrics.

You don't understand. You are asking for these things for in the event something goes wrong. It happens sometimes. If you have the balances in a makeshift chat transcript of sorts and ideally, a ticket or reference number, and account screenshots, it will make your job far easier when when you have to call the TF corp office or contact the BBB or FCC to get the accounts fixed if you have some sort of proof that shows how your accounts were before things got mangled. Oftentimes billing may state we don't have a record. You need to have the record. Anyway, that's my view.

To be fair, when I would do a merge/combine between two lines with meager balances and time, I would skip some of that out of laziness and less concern. But if it involved my main lines, or high balances, I would pull out all the stops.

Generally, the chat can't fix it if they mess it up. You can stare at it all day on that app, but if they butcher it.. they willl be like have a nice day and disappear. Happened all the time.

You will be on your own with the TF corp office with reps that have the account tools who will need authorization from billing.

You don't understand. You are asking for these things for in the event something goes wrong. It happens sometimes. If you have the balances in a makeshift chat transcript of sorts and ideally, a ticket or reference number, and account screenshots, it will make your job far easier when when you have to call the TF corp office or contact the BBB or FCC to get the accounts fixed
I wouldn't bother. I can accept the bad luck and move on.

not simple activating a phone stuff where the stakes are minimal.... but moving 15k buckets to a phone with 10k buckets and multiple years time across multiple different devices.
It feels good to have a huge balance, but the 25k is only stored potential. The true cost of losing it would be its likely expected use, which for most customers, will be small.

For me, it's nothing to worry about.

I wouldn't bother. I can accept the bad luck and move on.

It feels good to have a huge balance, but the 25k is only stored potential. The true cost of losing it would be its likely expected use, which for most customers, will be small.

For me, it's nothing to worry about.

Well, if it happens to an important line, a line that is tied to bank accounts and other things, a phone number people need to reach you at, you may feel differently.

Well, if it happens to an important line, a line that is tied to bank accounts and other things, a phone number people need to reach you at, you may feel differently.
If it's an important line I know its phone number. IDK how that could be lost with no way to recover it ...

Back